Light and Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Light and Dark

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Just gonna leave this here
MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2022 11:38 pm by FallenSanity

» 2K15 REVIVAL
MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 3:03 pm by Nick

» Branra'rin'moloo, core name Tariny
MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:05 pm by FallenSanity

» Chapter 1 - Da Boyz undah seegj
MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 1:45 am by Janitor

» Testing Polls
MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 4:11 am by Nick

» SWRP-III Chapt. 1
MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 9:37 am by Saarthal

»  Magic in TES (WIP)
MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 12:21 am by Nick

» ESRP Chapter One
MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 pm by Nick

» Character Thread
MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 1:23 am by Nick

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Top posting users this month
No user
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 46 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:11 pm

MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Xazhi
Admin
Xazhi

MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS Empty
PostSubject: MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS   MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 9:42 pm

Magic is an ancient art used by the Demonic and Angelic races. It consists of Nine basic elements (and their sub-elements).

MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS Magic112

Every magic-wielder is born with the ability to use two magics. These may NOT contradict eachother. For example, Water and Ice is a combination that could happen. Fire and Water is not. All magic users are also born with the ability to use either Light or Dark on top of their two. Light and Dark do not contradict any element exept eachother.

Magic takes effort to use, and isnt just whipped around like a toy.

Light and Dark magic are not used like the others. They do not have major effects and uses. Their effects are more passive. Light and Dark magic effects how the user's magic behaves, and has very few uses outside of that.

Two magic elements can actually be combined into even more elements that are more powerful. These can be further combined.

To magic elements can be combined to make a tier two element. This takes a great deal of effort and skill. One person with two elements that are able to be combined may do so, or use them individually. Two people, each with one that can be combined with the other person's element can also fuse them. The combinations are listed above.

Tier two elements can be further combined into tier three, however this is intensely difficult and takes quite a lot of effort.

There are also five schools of magic. Each person may choose two of them to advance in, which will determine how they use their magic. No magic is unable to advance in a specific school, but some are certainly better than others. They are listed below.

MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS Magic_12

Side notes:

-The element Virden represents Plants.
-The elements in parenthesis under the tier one elements are things that a user of that element also has under their control.
-Light and Dark do not contradict any element but eachother.

[More to be added later]

Last edited by Xazhi on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://lightanddark.rpg-board.net
Xazhi
Admin
Xazhi

PostSubject: Re: MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS   MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Quote :
What does "Dark" or "Light" actually do to the the other magics, when you say
Quote :
"Light and Dark magic are not used like the others. They do not have major effects and uses. Their effects are more passive. Light and Dark magic effects how the user's magic behaves, and has very few uses outside of that."
What do you mean?

And how would create something like a storm, would that be Water + Wind? Or simply Wind? And when you say Wind(gas) do you mean all gases? or is there a limit? For example, If I were a wind magician, could I pull all the air out of someones lungs and kill them? Could I manipulate steam (water vapor, because it is technically in gaseous form).

Also, Ice is just the solid form of water, if water is still long enough to lose heat energy for a long enough period of time and becomes ice, does that render the water-wielders magic useless? or if a fire magician melts the ice of an ice-magiican does that render his magic useless?

And when you say "Water (rain) " does that mean the person can create a rain-storm? And can an Ice wielder make a snow storm? or can an ice-wind mage create a blizzard? or does the creation of storms require dually water/ice and wind?

Also, since bodies of organisms are contain a fairly high amount of water in them, doesn't that mean that a water user can manipulate that water?

All very good questions. Here are some answers:

-Light magic gives the wielder more heavenly or angelic uses of magic, like healing and shielding, while Dark would be more geared towards destruction and devastation. I know thats pretty vague, but that leaves more freedom, and some room to toy with it later.

-Any magic plus wind can create a storm of their respective magic. However, this takes an insane amount of effort and skill, because it is using two magics at once, and making something huge. Examples would be things like blizzards, rainstorms, and fire-tornadoes. I would not recommend anyone try that just yet, because we are starting out rather weak. If the two elements contradict eachother (Such as Earth and Wind), one would have to rely on another person having the other element to create the storm. (Earth storm is a sandstorm, just for clarification.)

-Wind (Gas) does indeed include all gases. However, they could not pull the air out of someones lungs. Steam does fall into the category of both Wind and Water, so both users could potentially use it. However, unless it is found somewhere in the world, like a hot spring, it would have to be made via the combination of Fire and Water into the tier two element Steam. Because Water and Fire contradict eachother, there would have to be two magic wielders present to do this, one with Fire and one with Water.

-The Ice being a solid form of water thing is actually a question that was raised between me and Tar when we were first discussing Magic. Water users cannot use Ice, however they do have the ability to convert Ice into water to use. Ice users can also change Water into Ice, as the original concept of the Ice user was actually more like a user of Cold. As a side note: Ice users can also convert Steam into droplets of ice, which they can then use.

-Water users can manipulate present rain, as Ice users can with snow/hail. They can, after a certain mastery of their element, make it rain / snow lightly. It does require Wind to make an actual storm out of this.

-Similar to the Air/Lungs question, no, Water users cannot manipulate the body of another being. The only element off the top of my head that can manipulate another being is Virden (Plants). They can manipulate vines and the like into whips, and similar things. Ill make a basic list of Magical abilities below.

Virden (plants)

-Can make plants grow at a rate of 1 year/second untill the plant has reached its maximum size. They can also do this to seeds, making the plant sprout from them.
-Can manipulate Vines and similar things into whips.
-Can extract the healing, poison, etc properties out of any plant that contains them. (Example, can suck the aloe out of an aloe plant, or extract poisonous goo from poison Ivy.)

Fire

-Can manipulate present fire, or create their own.
-Can hold fire into a shield or weapon form for a short time.
(What else really needs to be said about this? Its fire.)

Earth (sand)

-Can manipulate present Earth and Sand, similar to Earthbenders in the Avatar series. Can also manipulate mud and similar elements.
-Cannot conjure earth or sand from nothing, as many other elements can, but they can create more earth / sand out of present amounts.

Water (Rain)

-Can manipulate present water, or create their own.
-Can summon a light rain if they are highly skilled in their element.
-When combined with Wind, can make a rainstorm at a certain mastery of their element(s).
-Can convert Ice or Steam into Water to use.
-Can wield Steam.
-Cannot wield Ice.
-Cannot use the water within a person or creature to manipulate them.

Ice (Snow)

-Can manipulate present Ice and Snow, or create their own.
-Can summon a light snow if they are highly skilled in their element.
-When combined with Wind, can create a blizzard at a certain mastery of their element(s).
-Can turn Water into Ice, or Steam into droplets of Ice.

Wind (Gas)

-Can manipulate present Gas of any kind, or create their own to work with.
--Example: Can create bubbles of air underwater, or use a blast of wind to send themselves into the air. This does not allow them to fly/glide.
-Cannot force the air out of someone's lungs.

Lightning

-Can manipulate present lightning or electrical energy, or create their own.
-Can create things ranging from bolts of lightning, to sparks of electricity.
-can create lightning storms at a certain mastery of their element.

I hope this helps you all. If you have any more questions, feel free to post them here, and ill do my very best to answer them.
Back to top Go down
Xazhi
Admin
Xazhi

PostSubject: Re: MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS   MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 7:55 pm

ELEMENTS THAT CLASH!

Here is a list of all the elements that clash with eachother. That is, one person cannot wield both.

Virden / Fire
Virden / Lightning
Fire / Water
Fire / Ice
Earth / Water
Earth / Ice
Earth / Wind
Water / Lightning
Ice / Lightning

That should be it. If there are any others, ill be sure to put them up here, but i think this is all of them.
Back to top Go down
Xazhi
Admin
Xazhi

PostSubject: How Light and Dark effect Magic   MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 11:24 pm

This is a list of how Light / Dark magic effect the users. I will be adding more to this list as we progress.

Dark Magic users have a natural talent in the areas of Destruction, Conjuration, and Illusion.

Light magic users have a natural talent in the areas of Alteration, Restoration, and Illusion.

When a Dark Magic user kills someone who wields a sentient weapon, they have the choice to undergo a ritual which will allow their weapon to shapeshift into that one. This process requires much time and effort, and will destroy the victim weapon.

When a Light magic user kills someone who wields a sentient weapon, they have the choice to undergo a ritual which will add the power of that weapon to their own, making it stronger. This process requires much time and effort, and will destroy the victim weapon.

Users of Light / Dark magic who also specialize in one or two of the schools their respective magic is naturally good at, they gain slight extra effectiveness in that school.

I will add more to this list as we progress.
Back to top Go down
Xazhi
Admin
Xazhi

PostSubject: Re: MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS   MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 5:20 pm

Nick wrote:
With the Specialization of conjuration, could you 'summon' a sword?

If yes: Would that sword be made of fire, water, ice, whatever element you are most skilled with?

For conjuration (necromancy aside): Can you summon creatures from the other side? (If you've played Oblivion or Elderscrolls it would be akin to summoning the atronarchs or the Familiars or the Daedra)

For Alteration:

How does this work exactly? I mean, I know Alteration means bending reality a bit, but like, I can't see how this ties to any of the elements a character specializes in.

I mean, someone with water magic doesn't need to use alteration to breathe under water, someone with air magic doesn't need to use alteration to walk softly. I can see how alteration can improve these skills, but now how it brings something different.

Alteration affects the world around it by altering the laws of reality and manipulating it to one's own accord, right? If that's the case, wouldn't it be like creating a light source (not from flame) or bending light (which is arguably an illusionists skill) of these two none are of an element.

But from RPG games and the like, Alteration means things like spell absorption, magic armour, magic resistance, telekinesis, waterbreathing, summoning light (magelight), transmutation, paralysis (not through poison, like the person is frozen in place), detecting life signs or body heat, seeing in the dark (night vision), opening locks, locking locks, lightening your weight so you can move faster (or float), walking on top of water, making something heavier, levitation (of the self or another), slowfall (you fall slower so you don't die upon impact from an extreme height, or any height), creating physical barriers (not just magical ones, meaning it blocks physical entrance and not just/only magical), Jump (increases how high/far you can jump), increasing someones strength temporarily, etc etc (this was more than I thought)

So like, what does Alteration in this 'verse include? I know you said no one can fly, so levitation to a degree is out, but what's acceptable?

As a master of Conjuration, (MASTER being the keyword there), you could realistically summon anything that exists in the world. As Elementals do not, that would be a no. But a sword is feasible. As someone low-tier as all the current FRP characters are at the moment of this post, it would be realistic to assume you could summon things like:
Weapons (For brief periods of time)
----Yes, they would be of your element.
Some form of supplies based on Magic Type (For example, firewood or seeds for Virden, and things of that sort.)
Some basic forms of tools
Whatever your Magic is (ie Ice, Water, Earth, Fire, etc.)
----As I feel that last one may need some explaining, What I mean there is in greater amounts than a non-conjurationist of the same skill level would be able to.

As for Alteration, in the FRP 'verse it works in some funny ways.

A Virden user for example can make a plant grow at a rate of nearly one year per second after a certain level of practice. That would be Alteration for Virden style.

A Wind user could use it to do things such as jump farther, run faster, or slow their decent or even make their steps quiet. The ability to make fizzy a liquid (ie Carbonate it, though not necessarily with CO2.) is entirely possible.

A Water user might be able to, for example, separate a Liquid into it's basic ingredients. For example, a Soda into water, sugar, syrup, etc. Though the solid elements would not be effected by their magic anymore. In the same way, they might be able to combine ingredients that perhaps would not be able to be mixed. For example, it's pretty common knowledge that Sand does not dissolve in Water. If a Water user had some sand present in say a bottle of Water, they could realistically make a thin sort of Mud.

Lightning would be things like Increasing one's Agility, though at the level of our characters right now it would probably not be to any great extent. I was actually asked whether or not Wind users could do this, to which my answer was No. If you have ever played the first Final Fantasy game, Lightning Alteration would be akin to the spells of Haste and Saber.

Nick wrote:
Restoration:

Restoration is the school of restoring someone. Would that mean someone in the restoration specialization could sap the life force/stamina of another person?

No it would not, though they would be able to do just the opposite and restore someone's Stamina, as well as heal wounds, cure afflictions, etc (Though the mastery required to heal or cure would obviously scale with the severity of the damage.) Think of Restoration as White Magic from Final Fantasy I. If need be, i will post a complete list of White Magic spells as well as their descriptions at a later time for comparison.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS   MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MAGIC AND HOW IT WORKS
Page 1 of 1